Our team brings together many of the brightest minds and biggest hearts in their respective fields, be they scientists, educators, experiential facilitators, event planners, chefs, administrators, and much more.
Heart and Mind in the Workplace
Work With Us
Director of Advancement
Are you a seasoned fundraising professional passionate about the potential for consciousness research to transform lives, communities, and our planet? The Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS), a research and education nonprofit organization founded in 1973 by Apollo 14 Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, seeks a highly experienced fund development leader to drive the organization’s fundraising activities, including “IONS 50” — our five-year, $25 million comprehensive campaign.
This is a unique opportunity to bring your expertise and passion to a world-renown organization with the mission of revealing the interconnected nature of reality through scientific exploration and personal discovery, creating a more compassionate, thriving, and sustainable world. We are looking for a candidate whose life purpose is aligned with our vision and mission.
IONS is headquartered on our beautiful 194-acre Northern California campus purchased by the board of directors and a group of dedicated donors 19 years ago. This is a spectacular, inspiring environment within which to work, and we are open to outstanding candidates whose home location may require partial telecommuting. The Director of Advancement will report to the CEO and work closely with the Board of Directors and the entire management team, including importantly the Director of Communications and Engagement.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Approaching our 50th Anniversary in 2023, IONS 50 is the largest endeavor IONS has ever embarked upon since our founding. The $25 million campaign supports the achievement of each of our five strategic pillars, as well as large-scale campus improvements. The Director of Advancement will develop and implement a sophisticated, multi-pronged fundraising strategy to achieve our campaign goals, while up-leveling the organization’s core fund development capacity and effectiveness.
To achieve the above, core responsibilities include:
- Drive the success of IONS fund development operations, representing a current donor base of 3,000 people located across the U.S. and around the world, among the 50,000 on our mailing list
- Lead the IONS 50 fundraising campaign in close partnership with the CEO and the Board’s IONS 50 Committee
- Strategically design, guide, and supervise development programs, including annual giving, planned giving, and donor engagement events and initiatives
- Cultivate, steward, and expand our portfolio of donors—including establishing one’s own comprehensive portfolio of donors
- Manage budget and revenue projections with the Finance team, with special attention to revenue modeling and reporting
- Collaborate with the Communications and Engagement Director on the development of strategies and materials related to donor and prospect communications, reflecting IONS new branding and messaging protocols
- Proactively support and enhance the effectiveness of the CEO and Board Chair in their donor cultivation activities
- Embody the vision, mission, values and strategic priorities of the organization
- Build relationships and work collaboratively with leadership and all staff
- Perform other related duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
Candidates must have led a successful capital or comprehensive campaign within the last 10 years. Additional desired qualifications and characteristics include:
- Passionate about building authentic relationships and making the “ask”; must have demonstrated experience securing major gifts ($1 million or more)
- Values and demonstrates the utmost professionalism, while also being down-to-earth and accessible to a wide variety of people
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Results oriented, self-driven, highly disciplined
- Superb project-management skills
- A contagious yet grounded attitude of positivity and abundance
- Flexible, collaborative, and comfortable working in an environment where noetic practices are the norm
- Passionate about mentoring staff, supporting board members, and leading by example
- Willing and able to work occasional weekends and travel as needed
- Fluent in the Microsoft Office Suite as well as major fundraising platforms (IONS uses DonorPerfect)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time salaried position, with compensation dependent on experience. Position includes competitive vacation, paid holidays, and health, dental, and basic life insurance. IONS also provides a delicious, farm-to-table free lunch on most weekdays, as well as ample opportunities to engage in experiential programs.
The Institute of Noetic Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this position, please first visit and thoroughly explore noetic.org. Then email your cover letter, resume, and any additional materials as separate attachments. Include your name and “Director of Advancement” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Future Job Postings
New job openings are posted on our website regularly. Please check back frequently to see new positions as they become available. Feel free to submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com so we can keep it on file for future job openings.
The Institute of Noetic Sciences is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available persons in every job. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
Share Your Passion and Talents
Assist the Institute of Noetic Sciences in a way that works for you. We have a host of opportunities:
From research and project-based work (e.g. coding keywords and themes from archival recordings; transcribing audio and video recordings, assisting with workshop development and course materials)…
…to simple administrative tasks (mass mailings, filing and organizing)
…to projects that call for professional expertise (such as grant and professional writing, and marketing assistance).
See how your gifts and experience can benefit the furtherance of our mission.
Community Group Network
A vibrant community of noetic seekers and community change agents exploring how to make a difference in the world.