IONS has a vibrant volunteer program that gives college students, professionals, and community supporters the opportunity to work with our Science and Experience teams.
Volunteers are assigned a mentor/supervisor and typically a specific project to work on. Volunteer time commitments vary. Some volunteers work a few hours for a time-sensitive project, like mailings or copying. Other volunteers commit a regular number of hours each week (usual range is 3-20). Volunteer positions are unpaid and IONS does not provide assistance in securing housing for those coming from out of the area nor travel to and from campus.
We have project-based volunteer opportunities that may include:
- Administrative tasks (mass mailings, filing, and organizing)
- Projects that call for professional expertise (such as grant and professional writing, and marketing assistance).
- Assistance with research projects (e.g. coding keywords and themes from archival recordings; transcribing audio and video recordings)
- Background research/literature reviews
- Data management and analysis
- Academic manuscript preparation
- Social media/blogging
- Community member relations
- Developing marketing materials
- Curriculum development
- Creating presentations in PowerPoint or Google Slides
- Filing and scanning archival material