On his way back to Earth after his pioneering moonwalk, Apollo 14 astronaut and IONS founder, Dr. Edgar Mitchell had a life-changing experience.
Peering out the window of his space capsule — with a 360-degree panoramic view of the stars, the moon, our planet, and the vastness of the cosmos — he suddenly experienced a deep sense of interconnection, a powerful feeling that he was an intrinsic part of everything he was observing.
It was an experience unlike anything Dr. Mitchell had encountered previously in his life and he described it as, “a sudden explosion of awareness, a profound sense of interconnection, an epiphany.” It transformed his perception, not only of the Earth, but of himself, humanity, and humanity’s potential.
And it changed his life.
SEE THE OVERVIEW EFFECT UNFOLD!
Now, you to can experience the cosmos as Dr. Edgar Mitchell did in that profound moment.
The 3D virtual reality experience is completely free to individuals and groups. It’s also available as a 2D video for those who don’t have access to virtual reality equipment.
In addition, we’ve included an innovative Exploration Guide to foster your personal inquiry and group discussion. This guide includes:
- an introduction to the VR experience and video
- an overview of key concepts
- journaling prompts
- discussion/inquiry questions
- further resources and scientific references
All of this material can be explored individually and/or in a group setting.
VIRTUAL REALITY MADE WITH CARE
In order to truly immerse viewers in sharing Edgar’s view, we assembled an expert team to truly refine the application. The VR experience was developed by:
- IONS Scientist and two-time Oscar-winning co-founder of Pixar Animation Studios, executive producer Loren Carpenter
- IONS Board Chair and executive producer, Claudia Welss
- Senior IONS Fellow, project lead, and producer Cassandra Vieten
- Emmy-award-winning and Oscar-nominated director/producer Bristol Baughan
- Award-winning creators of the VR Apollo 11 and VR experience programmers ImmersiveVR Education
As we journey through space, we will hear Edgar’s voice guide us through the dissolving of any and all boundaries within our consciousness to the universal connection we humans share.
In concert with stunning images of the cosmos, historic NASA audio, carefully crafted sound design, sensation-inducing haptic gear, and epic music, the Edgar Mitchell VR Experience will take users on a meditative, visceral experience of transcendence.
Sit comfortably, quiet your mind, and relax.