About Dean Radin
Dean Radin, PhD, is Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS). He earned an MS in electrical engineering and a PhD in psychology from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the research staff at IONS in 2001, he held appointments at AT&T Bell Labs, Princeton University, University of Edinburgh, and SRI International. He is author or coauthor of over 250 technical and popular articles, three dozen book chapters, and four books including the best-selling The Conscious Universe (1997), Entangled Minds (2006), the 2014 Silver Nautilus Book Award winner, SUPERNORMAL (2013), and his highly acclaimed new book Real Magic (2018).
Dean Radin, PhD, is Chief Scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) and Associated Distinguished Professor of Integral and Transpersonal Psychology at the California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS). His original career track as a concert violinist shifted into science after earning a BSEE degree in electrical engineering, magna cum laude with honors in physics, from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, and then an MS in electrical engineering and a PhD in psychology from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. For a decade he worked on advanced telecommunications R&D at AT&T Bell Laboratories and GTE Laboratories. For over two decades he has been engaged in frontier research on the nature of consciousness. Before joining the research staff at IONS in 2001, he held appointments at Princeton University, SRI International, and other academic and industrial facilities.
He is author or co-author of hundreds of scientific, technical, and popular articles, four dozen book chapters, and four popular books including the Scientific and Medical Network's 1997 book award, The Conscious Universe (HarperOne, 1997), Entangled Minds (Simon & Schuster, 2006), a 2014 Silver Nautilus Book Award, SUPERNORMAL (Random House, 2013), and his highly acclaimed new book Real Magic (Penguin Random House, 2018). His books have been translated into a dozen foreign languages.
His academic articles have appeared in journals ranging from Foundations of Physics and Physics Essays to Psychological Bulletin, Psychology of Consciousness, and Frontiers in Human Neuroschience. He was featured in a New York Times Magazine article; and he has appeared on dozens of television shows ranging from the BBC’s Horizon and PBS's Closer to Truth to Oprah and Larry King Live. He has given over 400 interviews and talks, including invited presentations at Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge, Princeton, the Sorbonne, and the University of Allahabad; for industries including Google, Johnson & Johnson, and Rabobank; and for government organizations including the US Navy's Chief of Naval Operations Strategic Studies Group, US Army Special Operations Command, the Naval Postgraduate School, DARPA, the Indian Council of Philosophical Research (India), the International Center for Leadership and Governance (Malaysia), and the Australian Leadership Retreat (Australia). In 2017 he was named one of the 100 most inspiring people in the world by the German magazine, OOOM.
In 2010, he spent a month lecturing in India as the National Visiting Professor of the Indian Council of Philosophical Research, a program within the Indian government's Ministry of Human Resource Development. In 2013 and 2014, he gave invited lectures in Kuala Lumpur at the International Center for Leadership and Governance, an organization supported by the Central Bank of Malaysia. In 2015 he spoke at the Australian Leadership Retreat, a confidential program of briefings and discussions for Australian government, business, education, and military leaders.
- 2015: Nascent Systems Innovative Research Prize, for article published in Quantum Biosystems
- 2015: Charles Honorton Integrative Contributions Award, Parapsychological Association
- 2015: Invited Speaker, Australian Davos Connection, Leadership Retreat, Hayman Island, Australia
- 2014: Silver Nautilus Book Award for Supernormal (Random House, 2013), Amazon #1 Bestseller in category of Religious History
- 2014: 2013 Brand Personality Award, Asia Pacific Brands Foundation
- 2013-14: Plenary Speaker, International Center for Leadership, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 2010-12: Invited Speaker, Chief of Naval Operations Strategic Studies Group, Naval War College, Newport, RI
- 2010: National Visiting Professor, Indian Council of Philosophical Research, New Delhi, India
- 2008: Alumni Leader, Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, U of Illinois, Champaign
- 1997: Book of the Year Award, Scientific and Medical Network, for The Conscious Universe
- 1996: Outstanding Contributions Award, Parapsychological Association
- 1996: Alexander Imich Award; Rhine Research Center, Durham, NC
- 1992: Special Merit Award, GTE Laboratories, Waltham, MA
- 1989: Special Merit Award, Contel Technology Center (merged with GTE Labs), Chantilly, VA
- 1984: Research & Development Award, AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, OH
- 1970: Concertmaster, University of Massachusetts Symphony Orchestra, Amherst, MA.