Discussions

Death Makes Life Possible

Posted Feb. 15, 2013 by Angela Murphy in Open

Anonymous Icon

commented on March 1, 2013
by clawsonkane@yahoo.com

So many wonderful ideas and resources have been mentioned during the DMLP telecourse... if you have any books, articles or resources you'd like to share on the topics of death, dying, the survival of consciousness after bodily death, out-of-body experiences, etc... please post here!

• 9 Comments  
  • Anonymous Icon

clawsonkane@yahoo.com Mar 01, 2013

to be continued...

And last but not least, this is not a spiritual book at all but a fascinating look at the western world's thoughts and actions concerning death and dying, written by the former editor of Psychology Today. It is an exhaustive study and a must read for anyone in end of life careers, Or laypeople who just are curious about our history or where the medical establishment stands now. It's called "The Good Death~ The New American Search to Reshape the End of Life", by Marilyn Webb.

Just a note: Most of the books I just suggested were written by MD's or PHD's but I just didn't write it after their names. I'm not suggesting they are infallible but they are at a higher risk of hurting a career when they publish something that other's might question. Consequently I think they take great care in presenting their information.

I have also read some Rudolph Steiner, Allan Kardec and Ernest Holmes for a historic perspective but I have found some of the more modern books more compelling.

I'd love to see other suggestions on any and all of the subjects I listed. Too many books, too little time;-)
    Thanks so much to everyone who was in my groups, your honesty, courage and willingness to talk made for great discussions!
    -Kane

• Anonymous Icon

clawsonkane@yahoo.com Mar 01, 2013

Kane mar. 1st, 2013
    Hi, I thoroughly enjoyed the class as well, particularly the small and group discussions. Such a great mix of folks taking the class!

I got some requests for some reading on an assortment of subjects so I'll list a few favorites here: First off, the "Seth" books, channeled by Jane Roberts, starting in the 60's and ending with her death in 1984 are astonishing. The depth of the material and the sheer brilliance are unlike anything else I have ever read. All the other books cover several subjects but Seth covers it all, mind you there are many, many books!
    IN terms of books on materialsim vs. spirituality or the scientific side of paranormal studies, there is alot out there but I have particularly liked Charles T.Tart's book, "The End of Materialism" (available through the Noetic book store), and the three Chris Carter books though they seem a little simplistic. I am just about to start "Irreducible Mind~Toward a Psychology for the 21st Century" and it's dense but looks very interesting, whereas "Measuring the Immeasurable~ The Scientific Case for Spirituality" (by a slew of scientists, many of whom have been involved with Ions, and is a selection of articles on studies) read like a science text book and I had a hard time following it but if you enjoy statistics I suspect you'll find it fascinating.
    I have found the authors, Robert Monroe, Robert Bruce and William Buhlman to be excellent writers about out of body experiences (or astral projection) though they each believe it is a vital skill for different reasons. I also enjoyed Frederick Aardema's book, "Explorations in Consciousness" on the same subject.
    People interested in lucid dreaming will do well to read anything by Stephen LaBerge as he's sort of the daddy of 'how to do it', (not counting some thousand year old texts that are a little trickier to comprehend!), but another writer who deals with all kinds of dreams, and the art of using them to make contact with wayward souls, the departed, your guides, etc. is Robert Moss. Two of his books which I found particularly interesting are: "The Dreamer's Book of the Dead", and "Dreaming the Soul back Home".
    If you are curious about reincarnation and past life regression, Brian Weiss's "Messages from the Master", and "Many Lives, Many Masters" are intriguing as is Ian Stevenson's "Where Reincarnation and Biology Intersect".
    In terms of general info about death and the afterlife, I thought Julia Assante's, "the Last Frontier~ Exploring the Afterlife and Transforming Our Fear of Death" to be a terrific read. It's full of fascinating facts and by the end I think most but the hardened sceptics would be at least finding the survival of consciousness plausible. It's one I underlined a great deal and will read again, and again.
    Thanks, Will add another post with a few more books! -kane

• Metaphysicist2 Feb 27, 2013

Hello Angela,
    I certainly appreciate the work that you, and others at IONS are doing, and it’s good to see that science and metaphysics are becoming intertwined.
    To be brief, I had the karmic fortune of experiencing the natural uprising of kundilini when I was 35 years old, which brought about a tremendous transcendental/mystical experience in which I had conscious & physical energetic awareness of the “One in whom we live, and move, and have our being” sounding the OM, and there was instant recognition and memory of having already experienced this before this lifetime. I have subsequently recalled memories of a previous life in Tibet at the Tashilhunpo monestary in Shigatse, and knew the Tibetan, Djwhal Khul, who utilised Alice Bailey many years ago to further the knowledge in the public domain presented earlier by Helena Blavatsky with The Secret Doctrine and Theosophy/Neoplatonism. I subsequently, produced a book and the 2nd edition is titled: Creation & Metempsychosis (Evolution of the Soul) – An Introduction to the “Psychological Key of Man”¹, which is strictly a compilation of metaphysics, and draws upon some of the wisest souls who’ve ever lived. It provides the technical metaphysical rationale for creation itself, as well as creation of the human soul (the crown chakra).
    I communicated many years ago via email with Dr. Mitchell, and wrote a paper² in response to his paper, “Nature’s Mind: The Quantum Hologram”, and then wrote a letter to him on June 22, 2010 in response to his “Dyadic Model of Consciousness” in which he responded favorably, and a copy of the letter, along with his response, is at the bottom of my autobiography.*
    Because we all have different talents, abilities, and purposes in life, I’m limited to educating on the web via my website and facebook where I’m assisting Neil Gould administer his Project MEXO³, which is indirectly connected to Exopolitics.org of Dr. Michael Salla.
    Waking up the general public to the extraterrestrial presence is extremely important to our immediate future, and Steven Bassett, founder of Paradigm Research Group†, as you may know, will hold a Citizen Hearing on Disclosure of the extraterrestrial presence at the National Press Club in Washington, DC on April 29 to May 3.

That’s all for now.

Sincerely yours,
    Dean Sloan – an American citizen living “down under” in the “Land of Oz.”

* http://www.qdeansloan.com/bio.htm

¹ http://www.amazon.com/Creation-Metempsychosis-Evolution-Soul-Psychological/dp/1893302903/sr=1-1/qid=1168719781/ref=sr_1_1/105-9007366-5981264?ie=UTF8&s=books

² http://www.qdeansloan.com/sitemap.htm

³ Project MEXO https://www.facebook.com/groups/projmexo/?fref=ts
    Mission Statement https://www.facebook.com/groups/projmexo/?fref=ts#!/groups/projmexo/doc/306244019436867/
    Exopolitics http://exopolitics.org/

† http://www.paradigmresearchgroup.org/main.html
    http://noetic.org/events/2013/2/citizen-hearings-of-government-disclosure-on-ufos/

• Anonymous Icon

calluns Feb 27, 2013

My small discussion group asked that I post information on two books and link access. They concern information on the afterlife.

The first is Life in the World Unseen by Anthony Borgia. Monsignor Robert Hugh Benson, a son of a Bishop of Canterbury, wrote a book on spiritual matters called The Necromancers. When he “passed over”, he realized that much of what he had written was inaccurate, so he wanted to set straight what life was really like, and supposedly dictated the information to an Anthony Borgia. This name was used by Alice Bailey, to whom he dictated the work, so the book would be accepted on its own merits, and not associated with her work. It is an easy read, and because of his previous knowledge, his descriptions are quite detailed, answering many of the questions most people might ask.
    For quick access:
    Life in the World Unseen Anthony Borgia
    http://anthony3741.tripod.com/ This is a link where you can review the text.

The second title, Wanderer in the Spirit Lands, is more difficult because of the old language (the late 1800s) and is not so pleasing. The gentleman had a not-so-pleasant life, and it takes him a long time in the afterlife to overcome his struggles and gain understanding. However, it is rewarding to plow through it as one gains greater understanding of how karma works.

For quick access:
    Wanderer in Spirit Lands Franchezzo
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/wsl/index.htm

• Anonymous Icon

karendbenson Feb 21, 2013

Terrific course for many reasons. Thank you so much for offering it and for all the effort and thought all of you have expended to make it worthwhile. Also, I am grateful to those in my small groups and community groups, as their stories have insited me and sparked new paths for me to explore.

I hope the Facebook resources and these resources on the website will overlap, as I am not a member of Facebook. I am eager to find the resources mentioned by members of the class. but also I want to offer the following books to the resource list:

UNSEEN GUEST by Joan and Darby --approximately 1916 or 1920
    Darby records the information that comes through his wife Joan, primarily through "Stephen." The discussions about afterlife, reincarnation, and the description of developing "Quantity" on the Earth plane and "Quality" on other planes are thought-provoking.

THE BETTY BOOKS by Stewart Edward White--approximately late 1930s into the 1940s and beyond
    White records information that comes through his wife Betty. This becomes a series of several books, beginning with THE BETTY BOOK, ACROSS THE UNKNOWN, and THE UNOBSTRUCTED UNIVERSE. The ones after those three are good, too, but they revisit the information in the first three books. I found THE UNOBSTRUCTED UNIVERSE to be fascinating in the descriptions and information given about how the universe "works."

• mrmathew1963 Feb 20, 2013

G'day Angela

Now death is the illusion, we never really die as that's metaphysically impossible. So many say that this existence is an illusion as it's just a conscious thought however anything that vibrates exists & thought conscious or not is a vibration so it has to exist no matter what it is. Dying exists because it's a thought in our little world/mode of thought but when one looks at the big picture it exists but is doesn't at the same time, it's a paradox because while we are in this reality we make it exist but away from this reality it doesn't as it's all just pure consciousness.

What I think we are doing is expanding on the initial consciousness so what didn't exist before can now but only within this mode of thought/consciousness, that's the paradox.

A loony concept I know but you never really know!!

Love
    Mathew

• Angela Murphy Feb 20, 2013

So happy to hear people are enjoying the course!
    Jane Gignoux, who is participating in the DMLP telecourse and was interviewed for the documentary film, has a website that might be of interest: Life, Death and Beyond http://www.lifedeathbeyond.com/

• Anonymous Icon

cornelis lenten Feb 18, 2013

The teleourse DMLP gives an extensive amount of professional information as an confirmation of my deep feelings. Certainty makes place for doubts ! An eyeopener was for me "Unfolding meaning" of David Bohm:An unbroken wholeness in flowing movement. I like to learn more about the interface modern physics and and our spiritulal life

• Anonymous Icon

Plexus1 Feb 16, 2013

I am really enjoying the course and what I am getting is that life makes death relevant. We need to embrace life. Michael.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS