Discussions

Anonymous Icon

Collective consciousness - a New Discovery!....or is it

Posted July 19, 2011 by Shankar Narayan in Open

commented on Jan. 24, 2013
by Jeanine Broderick

I was just looking at some Hindu scriptures when i "accidentally" came across the following mantra from the Narayana suktam.

sahasra seerSam devam| viswAkSam viSwa SamBuvam|
viSwam nArAyaNam devam | akSaram paramam padam.||

I meditate on god Narayana (Vishnu),
He who has thousands of heads,
He Who sees everywhere and knows everything,
He Who does good to all the worlds,
He Who is the embodiment of the universe,
He Who is without an origin and is endless,
He who is the beginning and is the destination.

And a similar one from Sree puruSHa sooktam struck a chord in my memory. It goes like this-

sahasra sheerSHA puruSHaha | sahasrAkshah sahasrapAt |
sa bhoomim vishvato vrtvA | atyatiSHTad dashAngulam ||

The words puruSha in its most literal sense means man. However
This is not a generic for human. Theistic and mystic sources tend to interpret
puruSHa as paramapuruSHa Sriman Narayana or Vishnu. He is the source and the basis of all creation,
he manifests himself in all of it. All creation is his body
- the vishvaroopa mahAkAya. He encompasses it.

So why does this puruSHa have thousands of feet, hands,
eyes ? sAyaNAcArya interprets this as the puruSHa manifesting himself in all
that lives.. And since all was created from his body, as
we shall see, all heads are his heads, all eyes his eyes,
all feet his feet.

And then we see that the puruSHa extends beyond ten fingers. The ten fingers here are the digits,
the ten fingers of human hands. They are the basis of count, of all mathematics, of all the logic and science
built on mathematics. However, they are all limited when it comes to analyzing puruSHa. He is transcendent, and
beyond such limited understanding.

On a basic level the first mantra is a description of the viSwaroopa of vishnu. it describes the collective consciousness/ Universal consciousness of all the beings in the universe. but the second one clearly defines the viswaroopa as Vishnu manifesting himself in everything that lives.. And since everything was created from his body, as
we shall see, all heads are his heads, all eyes his eyes,
all feet his feet.

In swami Akshara's Blog
http://swamiakshara.blogspot.com/2009/07/narayana-is-not-noun-but-verb-narayana.html

He says "Narayana is not a name but a description. Its a state of being. Being is not a noun but a dynamic on going existence. "

This proves the fact that the ancient Indian rishis had prior knowledge of The Universal Consciousness/ collective consciousness eons ago. But according to modern science this apparently is a new concept!!!!

• 11 Comments  
  • Jeanine Broderick Jan 24, 2013

"Modern" (Western) science would be better described as Western science and that definition should be expanded to state that it is a science that was influenced (heavily) by the church and removed itself from anything that the church could consider their realm.

Churches are businesses with great power who benefit from sheep.

There is great wisdom from the ancients and even in the texts of all the holy books. Often the words have remained unchanged but the interpretations put on them by the leaders of the religious institutions were to serve the church (as opposed to serving the well-being of people).

I am not saying that churches do not attract wonderful people who wish to do good but we are all capable of being brain-washed.

God loves everyone. God is not the "god made in the image of man - vengeful and judgmental entity - that many are taught."

All the Holy books contain some wisdom. The Bible says God is Love. That is true. The Love described in Corinthians is also what love is. God cannot BE Love and be angry or vengeful. That is man re-making god in man's image.

Mass consciousness is far from a new concept. Neither are many of the other great truths that Western science is now "discovering." I find the same truth recorded from thousands of years ago. Aristotle comes to mind first.

For some reason, some years ago I became interested in commonalities and find that all the great religions have many as do the ancient philosophers.

Sometimes I contemplate that if a project were undertaken to find the things that are common to all the major religions and ancient philosophers (and great thinkers of modern times) and toss everything else out we would have a much stronger foundation than currently exists. But I also understand the value of unique perspectives and that we did not come here to whittle everything down to one belief or "one best way." When we learn to allow (not just tolerate) but allow and even appreciate the differences we will be living in a better world.

♡ Jeanine

• Anonymous Icon

Shankar Narayan Nov 25, 2012

That is probably because the players of the Home team are skeptical about the collective consciousness.
    <wink>

Jokes apart,

My analysis is,though the home team just has an advantage of its crowd supporting it, the capitalization part of using that energy to fuel their individual and collective performances is what matters.

The collective energy is present in the stadium, whichever team harnesses it, Wins.
    The away team may use it to fuel their determination to put in their best efforts, the home team might get complacent.

Too much of focused energy on single subject would be overwhelming,Suppose a forward of the home team runs with the ball towards the goal with the crowd cheering him, A single "what if i miss?" in his mind might trigger an avalanche within his mind thereby losing his focus and in the same process the ball.

I guess Randomness of human thought, and its impact can matter.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Oct 06, 2012

IONS has just completed new research on Collective Consciousness at Burning Man. The report is posted.
    Here is the question. Why wouldn't the home team always win in a sporting event if there was collective consciousness?

• Anonymous Icon

Shankar Narayan Aug 01, 2011

@ Individual: Thank you... will definitely take a look!

• Anonymous Icon

individual Jul 30, 2011

HOW ABOUT A LOOK AT ABINAVAGUPTAS TAKE ON CASHMIR SHAIVISM ? HE MIGHT NOT RING A BEL WITH MOST WESTERNERS MABE BECAUSE HE WAS NOT TRANSLATED UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO BUT HIS DISERTATIONS ON "CONCIOUSNES" ARE SUCCINCT

• Anonymous Icon

Shankar Narayan Jul 30, 2011

Thanks EthanT .If possible Do read "How I Became a Hindu" by David Frawley. A master of mine says "to gain more than just information, we must experience what is said in the books. Direct experiences change our Understanding and the information becomes Knowledge."

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Jul 26, 2011

Hi Shankar,

Yes, I have read the Mahabharata and loved it too! I've actually been thinking of reading it again because it's been a while and I think I would enjoy it a second time through.

"But to produce wonderful music. The instrument needs to be tuned properly." Well said!!

Thanks!

• Anonymous Icon

Shankar Narayan Jul 26, 2011

@EthanT I Believe that The 10 Avataras or Incarnations of Vishnu are but stages in the evolution of human consciousness. How we evolve from our basic animal tendencies, overcoming them to realizing the divinity within us. Do read the Mahabharata and especially Bhagavadgeetha. If you like Ramayana, you would LOVE the Bhagavadgeetha.

@Gaines Thank you! No man is an island... we evolve faster collectively!!! everything in the world is interconnected!

• Anonymous Icon

gaines Jul 25, 2011

Just returned to Hawaii from the IONS Conference in S. F.!! An amazing 'gathering'.

Leaning about WORLD VIEW LITERACY was a 'highlight ' for me.

I did feel the FIELD and the connection of everyone there. I agree with the previous comment about the Hindu's belief that the body is the instrument of the divine and that it needs to be properly tuned.

I encourage everyone who wishes to connect to the FIELD to visit this web site often and find others who will be looking for YOU~~

• Anonymous Icon

Shankar Narayan Jul 25, 2011

Thank you!

The concept of the human as a divine soul is intriguing indeed. We Hindus believe that the body is the instrument of the divine. But to produce wonderful music. The instrument needs to be tuned properly.

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT Jul 19, 2011

Interesting post.

You might find the discussion in the "Simultaneous duality and nonduality" thread interesting.

I read the Ramayana not too long ago. It's a great book and a great story. But, I found the Indian view of "God as man", as depicted in that book, to be interesting. It was also neat to compare to the more Western ideas.

I believe it was Sri Ramakrishna that said all men manifest God, but to different extents. It is those that manifest him so clearly and to such an extent, that they are called "incarnations of God". Rama was the clearest manifestation of Vishnu. But, it was interesting how even he did not realize this right away.

I always liked the idea that just as our bodies are vehicles for our spirit/consciousness, so is our spirit/consciousness the body/vehicle through which God can manifest Himself in the Earth (with our willing help)

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS