- Big Questions
- Consciousness & Healing
- Extended Human Capacities
- Worldview Transformation
- Community Groups
commented on Jan. 26, 2015
What recent films have had the most powerful effect on how you see yourself, the world, and the future of human consciousness?
Movies are transportive. When we enter a theater or settle in front of our television or computer screen, we willingly suspend our concerns about everyday affairs and surrender to the images and storylines that play out before us. More and more of those screens are reflecting back to us both the harsh realities and remarkable potential that define this time in history – this "age of uncertainty" – as we wonder which direction we are headed: civilizational collapse or civilizational breakthrough.
IONS has been keenly aware of the impact of films on consciousness, and we have been tracking many that are trying to expand our sense of who we are capable of becoming against a backdrop of unprecedented challenge. Provided below are a handful of links about the genre of “transformational films,” but we also want to hear from you: “What recent films have had the most powerful effect on how you see yourself, the world, and the future of human consciousness?”
- "Consciousness in Film," a 2011 interview with Stephen Simon, co-founder of Spiritual Cinema Circle (part of IONS’ Shifting Paradigms teleseminar series)
- "Transformational Films: A Genre on the Threshold" (feature article in Noetic Now – February 2011)
- "The Power of Media to Transform" from IONS blogger Kate McCallum
- "Movies on a Mission" (feature article in Shift magazine, Fall 2006)
- The IONS’ Community Group film blog.
Please join this discussion by sharing your response to this question in the comment space below.