- Program Areas
- Faculty & Staff
- Research Lab
- At Home Within
- Meditation Bibliography
- Selected Publications
- IONS' Consciousness Transformation Model
- Conferences/ Meetings
Over the past thirty years significant scientific research has been conducted on the potential effectiveness and value of distant healing practices. Reports and studies in this section offer the analysis of leading researchers in the field.
These projects range from double-blind studies on patients in clinical settings to research into essential issues such as whether a person's focused intention can have a nonlocal effect on another who is at a distance.
The links below will download PDFs.
- "Distant Healing" by Daniel J. Benor
- "Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP) in cardiac bypass patients: A multicenter randomized trial of uncertainty and certainty of receiving intercessory prayer." by Herbert Benson and Jeffery Dusek
- "Intentionality in Healing: Mapping the integration of body, mind, and spirit." by Marilyn Schlitz
- "Distant Intentionality and Healing: Assessing the evidence." by Marilyn Schlitz and William Braud
- "Distant Healing Intention: Definitions and evolving guidelines for laboratory studies." by Marilyn Schlitz, et.al.
"Research Methodology for Studies of Prayer and Distant Healing." by Elisabeth Targ
IONS Distant Healing Bibliography
The IONS Distant Healing Bibliography provides a comprehensive listing of articles, books and research reports in this growing field. The current bibliography is a work in progress and will evolve to become an annotated database of resources searchable by author, date, institution, publisher and subject. Resources in the bibliography will also grow to include references not just to text, but to audio, video, and web resources.
Articles and Archives
The practice of distant healing is drawing increased attention as an important component of integral medicine models that blend a range of approaches to health and healing. Many leading health professionals and spiritual leaders believe distant healing practices may significantly expand the capacity of lay people and practitioners to facilitate the healing of patients, friends, and loved ones.
- "How Healing Happens: Exploring the nonlocal gap" by Larry Dossey
- "NIH Grant to Study Distant Healing and Placebo" by Marilyn Schlitz
- "Directed Prayer & Conscious Intention: Demonstrating the power of distant healing" by Marilyn Schlitz with Nola Lewis
"Healing at a Distance: Playing your part in dad's bypass" by Elisabeth Targ