- IONS Events
- Conscious Living Workshops
- EarthRise Community Events
- Hosted Programs
- IONS Conference
- Community Group Events
Final Passages: Research on Near Death & the Experience of Dying
11th Annual International Bioethics Forum
Thursday, Apr 26, 2012, 7:30 AM
Friday, Apr 27, 2012, 5:00 PM (All times are local to the event.)
- Marilyn Schlitz, PhD
- Promega Corporation and the BTC Institute
5445 East Cheryl Parkway
Madison WI 53711
See a map
Coordinated by Promega Corporation and the BTC Institute, the 2012 Bioethics Forum promises two days of thoughtful information-sharing and discussion regarding Final Passages: Research on Near Death & the Experience of Dying.
Designed for the general public, it focuses on the sharing of scientific research and the consideration of related social and ethical issues. Many questions related to near death experiences (NDE), dying, and consciousness will be addressed by global experts, including:
- What is a near death experience (NDE)?
- What has scientific research revealed about NDEs? Are the phenomena associated with NDEs caused simply by chemical activity in the brain – or is something more going on?
- What do NDEs suggest about the possibility of consciousness continuing after death?
- What do we know about the experience of dying? How is this knowledge shaped by different cultural and spiritual contexts?
- What is a “good death”?
- How does the study and exploration of mystical experiences and altered states of consciousness contribute to our understanding of death and dying?
- How do interpretations of NDEs and the experience of death inform life choices? How can a heightened awareness of death lead to a more fulfilling life?
- How do life choices influence NDEs and the experience of death?
Stanislav Grof, M.D., Ph.D. (Professor of Psychology, Department of Philosophy, Cosmology and Consciousness, California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA)
Jeffrey Guss, M.D. (Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY)
Raymond Moody, M.D., Ph.D. (Author, Scholar/Researcher, Lecturer, Instructor and Private Counselor, Anniston, AL)
Steve Paulson (Executive Producer, To The Best of Our Knowledge, Wisconsin Public Radio and Public Radio International) (Moderator)
William Richards, Ph.D. (Psychologist, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD)
Peter Russell, (Fellow, Institute of Noetic Sciences, The World Business Academy and The Findhorn Foundation) (Closing Meditation)
Penny Sartori, Ph.D. (Nurse and Medical Researcher, The Intensive Therapy Unit, Morriston Hospital, Swansea UK)
Marilyn Schlitz, Ph.D. (President and CEO, Institute of Noetic Sciences, Petaluma, CA)
Alexandre Tannous (Sound Meditation)
Pim van Lommel, M.D. (Cardiologist, Department of Cardiology, Rijnstate Hospital; NDE Researcher and Author, Arnhem, The Netherlands)
Eric Weiss, Ph.D. (Psychotherapist; Adjunct Professor, California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, CA and Sophia Center of Holy Names College, Oakland, CA; Distinguished Scholar, Esalen Center for Theory and Research, Big Sur, CA)
Open to 350 participants, the Forum will begin each day with continental breakfast and registration at 7:30am, followed by the start of the program at 8:30am. It will conclude with a late afternoon reception. The registration fee ($175) includes breakfast, lunch, and a reception both days.
Attendees also have the unique opportunity to join a small group dinner conversation with a presenter on Thursday evening for an additional charge of $65.