Discussions

Dream

Posted May 25, 2014 by Hellseer in Open

commented on June 6, 2014
by NoetPoet

Sometimes I’d wonder why in dreams I’d only see clips or short pieces of dreams and then perhaps see a clip of a completely different scenario without seeing where it started or where perhaps it would go as though it’s just one short chapter in a book. I think it’s a time differential where time in dream is very slow so minutes are in fact weeks. According to the lamas, there’s not much difference between dream and waking state. An implication of this, if contemplated as correct is that our lives are in fact very long indeed.

In addition, there would be no point in studying dream because one should if anything be studying Time. One would be studying dream from the position of a being in a messed up timescale and of course it would make no sense.

• 6 Comments  
  • NoetPoet Jun 06, 2014

Yes...and?

• Hellseer Jun 06, 2014

i'm looking at dream here as a visible manifestation
    of subconscious interaction

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Jun 06, 2014

"And by disrupting specific phases of sleep, the research group showed deep or slow-wave sleep was necessary for memory formation.

During this stage, the brain was "replaying" the activity from earlier in the day."

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-27695144

"How sleep helps learning and memory remains unknown. We report in mouse motor cortex that sleep after motor learning promotes the formation of postsynaptic dendritic spines on a subset of branches of individual layer V pyramidal neurons. New spines are formed on different sets of dendritic branches in response to different learning tasks and are protected from being eliminated when multiple tasks are learned. Neurons activated during learning of a motor task are reactivated during subsequent non–rapid eye movement sleep, and disrupting this neuronal reactivation prevents branch-specific spine formation. These findings indicate that sleep has a key role in promoting learning-dependent synapse formation and maintenance on selected dendritic branches, which contribute to memory storage."

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction May 26, 2014

see the discussion on lucid dreaming.

• NoetPoet May 25, 2014

"Sometimes I’d wonder why in dreams I’d only see clips or short pieces of dreams and then perhaps see a clip of a completely different scenario without seeing where it started or where perhaps it would go as though it’s just one short chapter in a book."

Because dreams are just something your brain does to process information - a bit like de-fragging a hard drive. It is not necessary for dreams to have a coherent narrative structure in order to serve their neuropsychological function(s). Dreams have nothing to do with time differentials or alternate realities etc.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction May 25, 2014

Re: According to the lamas, there’s not much difference between dream and waking state.

But what does science say dreaming is?

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS