Discussions

What does it mean to meditate?

Posted March 15, 2012 by Fallensoul in Open

commented on July 10, 2012
by A I

Please share your knowledge, ideas, experiences, scientific research and experiments on meditation here.

What does it mean to meditate?
What kind of meditation works best for me?
What do I hope to achieve by this meditation?
What are the results that I have obtained thus far through meditation?

Any or all of the above, or anything you wish to contribute, relating to meditation as a means to elevating the consciousness.

• 10 Comments  
  • A I Jul 10, 2012

Best definition of meditation i heard was, removal of the personality, thus expereiencign nondualism or contunity.
    You can meditate in yoga or doing most anything, the decisive factor is abseance of I, and is being one with whatevr is at hand.
    The idea also of no conflict...or the idea of beaing religion of moving with a oneness of energy. MErely subject object disaapears and there is a flow apparent...but non conflict.
    It in the nterjection fo conflict withint he mind that removes one fo meditative state. The interjection fo desire beyond doing itself.
    The idea also of forming a realtionship with relity, rather than existing withing mental abstracitonsim.
    Exicitng sutff.

• Fallensoul Apr 25, 2012

rainaby: great post, pls email me adhamere@gmail.com. Why dont you share with us the method you've being taught.

dustproduction: yes i can say.

Everyone else: nice contributions. Can anyone actually define meditation in an objective way. Like everyone says "meditation for me", but what does that mean. Does it mean intensely focusing ones consciousness on a particular thing or what exactly are you doing when you say, "I'm meditating"

• DenisGorceBourge Apr 05, 2012

Hi everyone,

For me meditation has less to do with posture and environment than with energy and feelings.
    I can be in the tube and meditate. I can be in my garden, and be just grateful and joyful for being alive. I call this meditation because I am centered on the right feeling and in the NOW with very little flow of thoughts beside what is really happening...

Denis

• Anonymous Icon

rainaby Apr 04, 2012

meditation mmmm....
    people have different views about it and they take it in different ways but to summarize, we all know that its said that we use only 6-7% of our brain well its a method to do vice - versa the only problem with it is and infact the fun of it is that your mind which i may tell you isn't you, will make you some thing else the whole point of it is to see the difference, to see the thin hair line difference between you and your mind. Its a wonderful and big topic hence difficult for me to put into words but what i would like to mention is, many people who claim to go into a different place and feel peace running through their body, have a great chance of already being deluded, that is the function of mind it will keep you in delusions about everything. There's only one way to get out of it which is better understood by experience than by words (hence i wont write it) but as we say in India the one thing that you should do first before getting into anything serious about yourself and messing up with yourself is to find a person who knows fully about it... so look for one or come to india.... (though there is no garuntee that you will get a genuine guy in the first go) if your are lucky and receptive enough there's a great chance that you will find someone worth talking to here

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Apr 01, 2012

Can anyone say that neurofeedback will not accomplish the same outcomes as meditation?

• parker Apr 01, 2012

Meditation is a form of self-induced mind-relaxation, which may be done simply to experience being mentally relaxed, or it may additionally be purposed to produce any one of unlimited potential non-specific benefits, during this relaxed state of being.

Diverse levels, or depths of mental relaxation while meditating, are held to have equally diverse impact on the anticipated or potential benefits. It may be a discipline wherein the one meditating, may use this means of mind-relaxing for virtually any purpose he or she perceives is beneficial.

To learn what is truly the most beneficial knowledge to know, would be the ultimate goal of such a discipline, provided of course, that such meditation does not impede the mind's capacity to learn such things.

• slowlygetnthar Apr 01, 2012

For me, meditation is a time of re-attuning with the energy of the universe, calming the body, and quieting the eternal activity in my brain. It is a sort of returning to the well of silence at the seat of the soul and drawing renewal there, in stillness.

My favorite mudra is the one where I touch my heart with the three long fingers of one hand and hold the other hand out, cupped and upward to receive energy from the universe, channeled into my heart. It is calming, reassuring, and it lets me know that the universe loves me.

• ProtectiveAngel Mar 29, 2012

desertrose,

Sounds like close to my connection. Your right that some don't like God to come up.

• Anonymous Icon

yusheng Mar 19, 2012

for me, not mention the profound meanings, the primary function of meditation is to impove orders of human body: aging is disorder of human body, insanity is another disorder, eating, thinking, focusing on something, concentrating in something are all kinds of disorder, as a drawing is only a picture, if compared with a pure blank sheet on which you can paint any what you want .
    using the brain is different from the using the ability of the brain, conside the Algorithm, themeditation is a way to improve the ability of the brain, or to decreas the entropy of brain physically (the relationshiop between body and brain, the flesh and soul is other topic) , mediation offers the time and space for brain to reconstructure and re-evolve, which can be proved by mathematically anaylysis of the EEG in the states of meditation and no-meditation.
    that is my reply of meditation meaning, hope that is helpful.

• desertrose Mar 15, 2012

For me Meditation is a means to obtain a centered state of peace as well as a communion with "Spirit" or whatever name you choose to call your Higher Power. It is the time I look foward to during the day and I do not always have to be alone and still to practice it. I find that it helps me at the most craziests of times. I live in NYC and the commute on the subway can be a challenging one. While others are twiddling away on their blackberry's, ipads etc I quiet my mind and drift away to a calmer and more serene atmosphere. It reminds me of a bubble bath for the soul.
    Mediation for me is an escape to a secret place within my soul- a place where only myself and the Divine dwell.
    I hope I have been of some help to you.
    Namaste
    ~Denyse

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS