Discussions

The Swami Beyondananda and Fool Enlightenment

Posted Aug. 31, 2011 by Saoirse in Open

commented on Sept. 4, 2011
by F_Alexander

I haven't seen anything about him lately, but I wonder if others remember the Swami Beyondanada? He was basically about humor with a hint of truth. He always said he was trying to bring the world, one person at a time to "Fool Enlightenment" or the realization that life was pretty much a joke the universe was playing on us, and we should relax and laugh at it. He encouraged people to share moments of "fool enlightenment", i.e., moments when they realized the universe had just played a practical joke on them. I loved listening to him. Some of his "gems":

Don't listen to anyone who tells you they can give you the key to the universe. You don't need a key to the universe. It was left unlocked for you.

People say fasting can bring enlightenment, but that's ridiculous. We all go too fast as it is. If you want enlightenment, try a "slow."

Some were more silly than true. He claimed that people were wasting too much energy on changing the world. His solution? Potty train the world, and no one will ever have to change it again.

I'm hoping (just for a little fun!) that maybe people will share a few of their moments of "fool enlightenment." Have you ever had something happen that felt as if the universe were playing a joke on you? I had clear moment of fool enlightenment while manning a wilderness fire tower. A packer had brought me a grocery resupply, including a treat someone had tucked in for me -- little plastic wrapped hostess coffee cakes -- but they hadn't survived the trip very well. They were completely crushed. The label on the package read, "Hostess Crumb Cakes."

• 3 Comments  
  • F_Alexander Sep 04, 2011

How delightful! I looked around the site and I shall definitely be making mention of it in conversation from now on :-)
    "Spontaneous Evolution" sounds like just the kind of thing I was hoping existed too, we could use more compilations of empowering facts! I hope it inspires a lot of people in same way "What the Bleep do We Know?" did.

• Saoirse Sep 04, 2011

And what better joke for the universe to play on me than for me to discover that I was preaching the Swami's message to the Swami himself! Hope I didn't make too much of a mess of it!

The seminar is a little out of my tax bracket, but I'll be checking in on the website for sure! Thanks for the info!

• Anonymous Icon

Swamib Sep 04, 2011

Well it turns out the Swami is alive and well, living on the internet and the outernet!

He can be found online at http://www.wakeuplaughing.com/, and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/groups/85764662269/

He and his slightly more serious alter ego Steve Bhaerman will be doing a seminar for the Shift Network called A Course In Laughter that begins Thursday, September 8th ... right here: http://courseinlaughter.com/course/CourseInLaughter

Serious times call for serious laughter, and Swami is still helping folks take humor seriously and seriousness humorously.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS