Discussions

Anonymous Icon

Excessive dreaming

Posted Aug. 8, 2011 by Inquisitivegirl in Open

Anonymous Icon

commented on May 29, 2014
by dustproduction

I am wondering if anyone else has a problem with excessive nighttime dreaming or any suggestions with how to deal with it. I do not have sleep apnea or other health problems, eat well, excercise, etc..but I dream vividly all night long and wakeup exhausted. I have been having vivid dreams since I can remember (about 3 y/o).

I am able to control my dreaming and dream lucidly, but this tends to only tire me out more. I also occasionally have precognitive dreams. At this point I am wondering if there is any better way to deal with my dreaming? I love that I can dream, but right now it is interfering with my ability to function properly. My job includes alot of analytical thinking...and it is hard to do with your brain is tired :-) I should add that my body feels well rested..my limbs are not sore, etc..just my mind is tired.

Any suggestions or experiences that others would like to share?

• 21 Comments  
  • Anonymous Icon

dustproduction May 29, 2014

Then of course there's Googling. But I note no real condition of "excessive dreaming."

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/79153.htm

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction May 29, 2014

What have you read about dreaming in general?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/apr/27/mysteries-lucid-dreaming-brain-consciousness-research

• Anonymous Icon

tripletlovex3 May 29, 2014

I would like to ask if iquistivegrl has discovered any solution? I have the EXACT same issue. Its exhausting and annoying. everyone loves a dream or two but to where its so vivid, I question if certain things have happened because my dreams arent about monsters or fairytales, there normal life events

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction May 27, 2014

There are no limits to the products others will try to sell us.
    Sleep is a natural enough event.
    How many other meds are you taking?

• Anonymous Icon

sleep-dude May 27, 2014

My naturopath told me that there are two kinds of neurotransmitters: GABA & Glutamate. Gaba calms, glutamate excites. If you want your neurotransmitters to be less active while you sleep, I recommend Gaba Mood Assist by MD Nutritionals. I take this in combination with a sleep formula by Nature's Own containing Ziziphus. These two in combination are now alleviating my symptoms. I too dream all night long, but with the Gaba supplement, it is less intense, and the Ziziphus helps me sleep through it. Night after night, my sleep is progressively going back to "normal", although I'm not sure how long this process will take. I am also not sure what my sleep cycle will be like after I stop taking the Gaba Mood Assist. People with the symptoms described in the original post may have Alpha EEG Anomaly or Epic Dreaming Disorder. I was told I had Schizophrenia, but the "voices" I was hearing began many months after the chronic dreaming. So it leads me to believe that there is some crossover between ailments.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Dec 13, 2013

What is the biological need for sleep, which dreaming is a part of.

• mrmathew1963 Dec 13, 2013

G'day Adam

I consistently dream & yes when I was your age I woke up quite often in a sweat, it's apart of us dealing with our ever growing awareness I believe. At times most of it can be attributed to psychological disharmony but at other times I believe we are experiencing other dimensions. If we have few fixated attachments or psychological issues we can do what we want in our dreams, it's definitely another dimension.

Bestearth has given you some very good advice here as our dreams are just as if not more important to our wellbeing than when we are consciously awake.

• Anonymous Icon

lgayle Dec 12, 2013

I have always had vivid dreams all my life and feel it's a blessing. A communication from my higher self giving me messages. It helps me to write out my dreams to get them out of my head if I don't have the time to work with them. And I can add more details as I remember throughout the day or later

• bestearth Dec 12, 2013

Hi there,

You could try drawing pictures of what you see/experience in your dreams. i wouldn't deny them. Give those characters a voice by describing them in pictures or words. .Keep a diary near your bed and a lamp so you can write them any time and have the attitude that you want to know them. Ask them to tell you all about themselves.

i believe that dreams are our soul communicating to our conscious mind. If you develop the habit of recording them you start to see patterns of archetypal messages about your life. The things you've not integrated and don't want to look at. Look at them directly. Have the attitude they can't harm you, they are your friends with something for you, some gift. You have a gift and are a great being. Cultivate your soul, get to know it.

• Anonymous Icon

AdamWiwc Dec 11, 2013

Hi, I am 17 and for the past month I have been having extremely vivid dreams every time i close my eyes for the past month. These are usually nightmares but not all the time. I can remember the dream it seems to have started with, In short; a friend betrayed me, tried to kill me, so i killed her, and afterwords i committed suicide (strangely peaceful, suicide dreams, ever had one). Normally I would have a dream once ever two weeks or so but now i am waking up in a sweat and feeling like i have been hit by a train every morning. I have been so tired all day and even in class if i put my head down i will fall asleep in just a few minutes and start dreaming (thankfully they don't have enough time to develop before one of my friends jabs me with an over-sharpened pencil). Whats even stranger is i can;t remember what happened in the dream when i wake up the next morning, just the feelings i felt. It's like when mom starts baking something without telling anyone and the smell wafts up towards me and i remember the smell and i can taste the air but i don't know what the treat is, only in this case i can't go rushing downstairs to see what it is. Bad analogy's aside, I am posting this here because i was wondering if anyone had a similar experience once and how they got through it, before i tell my mother and she, in an over-mothering state, decides i need to go see a psychologist, neural scientist, brain surgeon, and an exorcist.

Thanks
    ~Adam Wiwc

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Nov 22, 2013

I should add a note here that Dr. Stephen LaBerge, who is associated with the Lucidity Institute, maintains that lucid dreaming may help people heal faster and enjoy other benefits, including aiding personal-development, enhancing self-confidence, overcoming nightmares, improving mental (and perhaps, physical) health, facilitating creative problem solving as well as providing "thrilling entertainment."
    In all fairness, it should be pointed out that LaBerge is also hawking DreamLights and other devices designed to help people learn how to dream lucidly at as much as $1,000 a pop -- and he has sold a lot of them.

• Anonymous Icon

dustproduction Nov 20, 2013

http://diyhpl.us/~bryan/papers2/dreaming/Lucidity%20Institute%20Research%20Papers.pdf#page=163

• Anonymous Icon

chroncat101 Nov 20, 2013

I see various comments here from professionals in the medical brain fields or science or fields that seem to think that those of us with this problem do not dream more than an ordinary person, that because we remember our dreams we think we have more but this is not the case, here is how I know for myself I dream much more than an ordinary person. I used to dream almost solely in the early morning hours before I awoke, with most people this is the case, but, about 2 years ago something new started to occur, after I got of clonazepam(a long acting benzo similar to valium). If I go to sleep for even a brief nap I will start dreaming vividly, when I go to sleep at night I dream vividly as well and because of the nightmarish dreams I wake up panicking many times throughout the night, every time I will have been dreaming previous to awaking. So,I will wake up at 10, 10:30, 11, 11:15, 12, 12:30, 1, 1:30 and so on and every single time I will be waking up from a nightmare. Also, my dreams are sequences, not individual. What I mean is that when I wake up at one of these times throughout the night, dreaming about me killing my cat(so horrible) I will go back to sleep when I am able to calm myself down and go back to the same place in the dream that I left off. During the night I will have several different dream sequences, all of which are terrifying and continue waking up with these dreams. So on a normal night I have between 50 and 100 dreams between the hours of 10pm and 6am this is not normal dreaming. Normal dreaming occurs normally in the early morning hours between 3am and 7am not every single time you go to sleep even for a brief period of 2 minutes. My mind is continually stuck in this cycle of sleep and everything from the antihistamines, to melatonin, to no caffeine, to yoga, praying, intentions, therapy, exercise(which I do everyday), sleep studies, nothing has worked. I feel like the only thing I can do is go back on Klonopin but I don't want to be addicted to such a life destroying drug anymore.

• mrmathew1963 Nov 09, 2013

G'day Jason

Everyone dreams & has OBE's but they just don't connect with them psychologically so they just don't remember them. Dreams are of a totally different consciousness & reality, we can experience what we like in our dreams unless we have psychological issues that need to be resolved.

• mrmathew1963 Nov 09, 2013

G'day Inquisitivegirl

You have some good answers here.

I can dream all night long & a while ago I would have numerous nightmarish dream until I said quite firmly a number of times no more & yes they did dissipate. I will wake up even today at times quite exhausted because some of my dreams are quite in-depth & prolonged, I won't stop this however.

My nightmarish dreams I realised latter on were teaching me to cope with circumstances I don't usually come a cross in my normal everyday life, these nightmarish dreams payed off big time latter on in my life conditioning me to what was to come. This isn't saying that I was going to literally experience my nightmares but theses dreams psychologically conditioned me to cope better with future life events, in other words they toughened me up.

• Anonymous Icon

JasonsBrain Nov 09, 2013

I've read that the average person is supposed to spend only 2-3 hours a night dreaming, but I seem to dream constantly. My dreams are vivid, tactile and in color, though sometimes I have a dream that's in black & white. I often wake up feeling physically rested, but mentally exhausted, because I've spent then entire 8 hours experiencing things, going places, interacting with people. On one hand, it's fascinating--it's like visiting an alternate reality every night. But on the other hand, it's exhausting. And what happens to me when I'm asleep is usually far more interesting than anything that happens to me during the day.

I've amazed when someone tells me that they don't dream at all, or they rarely dream, or they never remember their dreams. I can't imagine what it must be like to close your eyes and experience NOTHING for an entire eight hours...

I've started posting my dreams on my Facebook page, and I've writing a book of short stories based on my dreams. I've been reading entries from my dream journals at the local open-mic poetry readings. At least I've found something creative and constructive to do with my excessive dreaming. But I would LOVE to have just ONE night a week of perfect, dreamless sleep...

• Anonymous Icon

wbilly3814 Oct 10, 2011

I devoted a chapter to this in Quantum Physics, Near Death Experiences, Eternal Consciousness, Religion, and the Human Soul.

In meso-American Shamanism the idea, which has been taken far out of context by modern western civilization to mean a playground and brothel, of lucid dreaming was not to continually take control of one's dreams, doing so would lead to exhaustion and madness. the idea was to remain constantly aware of the fact that one is dreaming, so that upon awakening, we would realize that we are merely in another level of dream - that is the meso-American Shamanistic approach to 'lucid dreaming.'

Many authors have made great book sales by the inability to deliver a playground and brothel that the mind has safeguards against; which explains people's failures to achieve this on anything more than a brief, fleeting moment. One simple, quick change is permissible. if the change occurs, then that is validation of the fact that you are dreaming.

if you perform the experiment of banging your fist on a table in a dream, you will find that both your fist and table are 'solid,' i've repeated this countless times over the years with the same result.

things change rapidly in dreams, more slowly in the 'real' world.'

according to the latest and greatest in true neuroscience (I am in the deepest edge of being a theoretical physicist in neuroscience research) you are not dreaming any more than anyone else - you are remembering that you are doing so.

doxylamine (an antihistamine) or clonazepam (a benzodiazapine) will limit this greatly if it is having a negative affect on your productivity and ability to function. diphenhydramine, although an antihistamine, doesn't negate remembering one's dreamscape nearly as much as doxylamine, which goes under the trade name 'unisom,' a safe, over the counter sleep aid that will wipe the memmory of your dreams to some degree of normalcy.

hope that helps.

• Anonymous Icon

vidyat Oct 08, 2011

i too have vivid dreams daily and i wish to sleep atleat a night without seeing any dreams... never do i get a peaceful sleep and feel like never do i sleep.

• Saoirse Sep 17, 2011

Sounds as if something is messing with your sleep cycle. Some medications can cause this, so if you're on any regular medication, you might mention it to your doctor. You might also avoid stimulants like caffeine after noon. If it's possible to lower the temperature of your bedroom, I'd give that a try. There's an OTC supplement called Melatonin that can help sleep issues, but the timing is important -- it should be taken an hour before bedtime. It's used to help jet lag, and can help recalibrate the sleep cycle.However -- I have no idea what your state of health is or what medications you may be taking, so if you want to try it, you should check with your doctor first to make sure there's no reason not to take it.

• Anonymous Icon

babalon1919 Sep 13, 2011

For a period of several years, during the late 1990's, because of a particularly personal and devastating personal event in my life...one that I had been informing myself about in my dreams for almost a year before hand, increasingly trying to deny what I knew was coming...since most always my repetitive dreams were precognitive and came to pass with a consistency that had not bothered me until it became PERSONAL - I just, one day, decided to 'quit dreaming." Which, of course, really means no longer participating in, or recalling/remembering what happened in my dreaming world.

And the decision brought an immediate result...and I did not remember hardly anything but 'counting sheep' until one day almost 10 years later, for other reasons altogether different, I decided 'to start dreaming again.'

And that same week, 2 or 3 days after THAT decision, I began to be a willing member of my dreaming life and existence!

And it was a far more intense experience but yet not as grueling or confusing or any of that. Things were much improved. I find that I remember my dreams when I need to or want to...and if not, I don't. I gained control over that part of myself which I think is the key issue for anyone when it comes to this particular part of our daily (nightly) life.

You could try the same thing to try to help your physical body detach from the effects your active dreaming self is having upon your sleeping body. But most importantly, your brain would be able to truly rest.
    When you're rested and ready to resume, you can just resume.

It is all about your INTENTION and WILL...think your intention with clear, non-analyzed and/or justified will...and then, think no more of that thought, at all.

If you can make a wholehearted thought fully in one moment and then forget it in the next, you will be able to do anything you intend. Even putting your brain to sleep for a while so you can rest.

Whatever you decide to do, I look for your success and so should you!
    There is nothing you cannot overcome, once you overcome yourself, so to speak!

<3
    ani

• Anonymous Icon

gasman1984 Aug 08, 2011

hi, im new to this site. i have visited before though latley somthing has been compelling me to sign up.

anyway, back to your post.
    i have very vivid dreams, every night and have done since i was a kid. i am now 26. somtimes they are meaningless, run of the mill, things i've seen and talked about during the day. other dreams though have a different feel to them. which i think may have messages in them,though i have trouble decifering them. my dreams are so vivid that i have had to stop telling my friends about them as they think i make it up! how i could make some of the stuff up though i don't know.

anyway, just to let you know i am in the same boat as you, and as of yet have not found a way to control it, i certainly wouldnt want to stop it.
    i have read and tried a bit of astral travel a few years back, with no real success, but getting into a meditive state before sleep does give me a fantastic sleep, and thinking aboutit now, maybe a dreamless sleep?

hope that helps

lee

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS