Discussions

The top of the mountain

Posted May 17, 2011 by Jim Centi in Open

commented on June 13, 2011
by PonsAnimus

A hobby of mine has been to collect quotes which I believe reflect the view from the top of the mountain; I have posted a few. Notice the corollary between the first three quotes. Then do the same for the next three.

“Cease to cherish opinions” [Zen]

“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.” [Shakespeare]

“Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you.” [Jesus- Luke 18-21] Paraphrasing another section, a childlike innocence is required to enter the Kingdom.
~~~~~~~~~~~
“If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is……..infinite.” [William Blake]

“You ask ‘How can I know the infinite?’ I answer, not by reason. It is the office of reason to distinguish and define. The infinite, therefore, cannot be ranked among its objects. You can only apprehend the infinite by a faculty superior to reason, by entering into a state in which you are your finite self no longer, in which the Divine Essence is communicated to you. This is Ecstasy. It is the liberation of your mind from its finite consciousness.” [Plotinus]

“The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even if a stubborn one.” [Einstein]

It has not been too well published that during his most productive period, when he formulated his theories of space and time, Einstein enjoyed certain experiences he referred to as “Talks with the Old One.”. In my opinion, these experiences could just as well been referred to as experiences of Enlightenment, One with the Universe, Samadhi, Nirvana or dozens of other terms used to designate the top of the mountain, as the following quote indicates:

“Still there a moments when one feels free from one’s own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments, one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only being.” [Einstein]

Einstein fell from grace within the scientific community because he refused to accept that the foundations of reality were governed by chance and randomness. He believed that quantum theory was incomplete and that someday we would make this discovery. Could this discovery be related to our efforts to validate the nonlocality of consciousness?

And one final quote from Amiel [1821-1881] which for me, seems to put everything together:

“Nothing is more hidden from us than the illusion which lives with us day by day, and our greatest illusion is to believe that we are what we think ourselves to be.” [Amiel]

• 7 Comments  
  • PonsAnimus Jun 13, 2011

Jim,
    hehe, I did not expect you to respond to the quotes. I just felt to share them. Funny, you seem to be "infected" by Spock as much as I am ;).

Your illogical approach to chess does have its advantages on occasion, Captain.
    --[Spock in 'Charlie X']

oh and ofc i stop now with the off topic quotes..sorry for this one. Although, it is not that much off topic in the deeper meaning.
    /cheers
    PA

• Jim Centi Jun 12, 2011

PA,
    I find more value in experiencing your quotes than attempting to respond to them.
    Live long and prosper, \ / Jim

• PonsAnimus Jun 12, 2011

Well, as we are there, Jim, I can not hold back to add a few of my very favourite quotes of Albert Einstein:

1. All religions, arts and sciences are branches of the same tree. [Einstein]
    2. A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? [Einstein]
    3. Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.[Einstein]

These quotes and several others not mentioned, pointed me long ago to the direction and meaning of my life. I merged them all to my private slogan: Let your mind fly and feel its borderless nature !

/cheers
    PA

• Jim Centi Jun 11, 2011

It’s been over three weeks since this post and because there are only two comments to it, I may not have explained the quotes properly. The Top of the Mountain is a metaphor for the experience of enlightenment.

Aside from preconceived notions relative to the nature of enlightenment, it is an experience that generally lasts from only a few minutes to a few hours; following the experience a person’s appreciation of reality is altered for the remainder of his or her life.

Enlightenment is referred to by many terms, such as Universal Consciousness, Cosmic Consciousness, Unity Consciousness, God Consciousness, Buddha Consciousness, Epiphany, Universal Mind, One with the Universe and Top of the Mountain etc. These terms have been used to designate lesser experiences.

Notice the comment by Pause, which reveals insight into the experience of enlightenment.

Traditionally, the most effective method for experiencing enlightenment is meditation. Proper meditation involves deep relaxation and detachment from thought, preconceived notions, beliefs or impressions relative to the nature of reality. Stated another way, during proper meditation, one should be deeply relaxed and experience a childlike innocence.

The first three quotes reflect insight gained from the experience of enlightenment i.e. thoughts and opinions are a distraction during meditation and a distraction from the experience of enlightenment also, the experience of enlightenment is inside you, it is not something that you seek “outside” of yourself.

The next three quotes reflect perception gained from the experience of enlightenment, i.e. when we experience enlightenment or the nonlocality of consciousness, we see that time is an illusion and that we exist in eternity or infinity.

The final quote by Amiel reflects that we are not what we think ourselves to be.

I hope this assists in explaining the meaning of the quotes.

• Jim Centi May 18, 2011

Thanks for your comments guys. I was concerned that the quotes may be too far out for this forum.

• Anonymous Icon

EthanT May 18, 2011

Yes good quotes indeed. I hadn't heard the one by Amiel before - I like that one a lot.

• Anonymous Icon

Pause May 18, 2011

Great collection of quotes. Sort of like the studies they did with flowers and ultra-violet and other kinds of light that made patterns on the petals visible to the naked eye that humans had never seen before but that the bees and other creatures knew about all along. So much of what we humans "know" is only the tip of the iceberg, so much of what we don't know is common knowledge to everyone else. If the language we use in talking to ourselves can cause limitations, then we should be careful what limitations we put on what we believe.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS