Discussions

Is it possible for duality and non-duality to exist simultaneously?

Posted April 25, 2011 by Heidi Fuller in Open

commented on May 2, 2011
by Jim Centi

We know that because science was not always in the business of studying the subjective, immaterial world of consciousness, we were left with the common misunderstanding that the world is dualistc. According to the Newtonian laws of physics, mind and matter, subjective and objective, material and immaterial are separate experiences. Yet every human being experiences all of these simultaneously. As a scientist exploring consciousness, Amit studies the subtle world of quantum physics and helps us redefine our understanding of reality as interconnected instead of separate.

• 2 Comments  
  • Jim Centi May 02, 2011

Heidi,
    I agree with you completely. Based on my perspective of the world, the great majority of inhabitants of this planet gain a sense of self from the physical body. In this, they experience duality; me, you, them, us etc. Essentially, this experience of duality is materialism.

On the other side of the fence is spirituality, where we gain a sense of self from consciousness, a non physical quality of the universe. In this, we begin to experience the unity or interconnectedness of reality.

People that I respect, such as Amit, are sufficiently talented that simply by talking or writing they can bring people around from materialism to spirituality. It's too bad that we are way down on the second page of topics that people tend to neglect. Best Wishes, Jim

• Fallensoul Apr 25, 2011

Hi Heidi,

We're kind of discussing this in the Simultaneous duality and non-duality thread over here: http://www.noetic.org/discussions/open/29/

Perhaps you could add your post over there and we can discuss further so as to avoid duplicate threads.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS