Discussions

Awakening To Truth

Posted Dec. 8, 2011 by Angela Murphy in Community Groups

commented on Jan. 22, 2012
by Sibylle Hajostek

This IONS telecourse, based on The Untethered Soul by Michael A. Singer, is in its second week. Since there are quite a few class members in time zones around the world which prevents them from participating live, we want to expand the conversation and discussion about the book in this thread.
In the first few chapters, the book addresses awakening consciousness through listening to and observing the internal dialogue in your head. In class we took a non-judgmental look at that voice, to begin the journey to awakening to our true self by exploring who we are not.
In the second week of class we explored "Who Am I" and examined where our beliefs come from.
Class members, whether you have been able to participate in the live discussions or not, use this space to share your experiences, thoughts and reflections.

• 11 Comments  
  • Sibylle Hajostek Jan 22, 2012

Angela,
    I find those teleseminars you are offering very valuable! Great idea and deeply touching. Thanks.

• Sibylle Hajostek Jan 22, 2012

Hello Meg,
    that is wonderful! I am in a smimlar situation feeling that I have to "go out". You proved with your blog that it is not a too large step to take. I will take that edge, too. Thank you!

• Meg Reilly Jan 16, 2012

Hi Angela,

The class has truly been a pleasure. As I said to the group, one of the changes I've made is to step out of my comfort zone and publish my thoughts on a blog. It's time for me to take the risk and be who I am without fear of the judgment of others or my own self-limitation. So, I invite my new friends from this class to follow me at megreilly.blogspot.com and please feel free to comment. I will actually have my Web site built soon which will go by the same name: Intentional Acts.

Meg

• Angela Murphy Jan 16, 2012

Sybilla47.... you aren't the only one! At the beginning of each class (before the recording starts) we asked how many people got their homework done, and many hadn't. We're all so busy, it's challenging to do. But even without doing the homework, you could participate or just listen and I'm sure you'd get something out of it. Tonight is the last class... join us! And/or you can listen to the recordings of each class and read the chapters of the book that correspond to the lessons in your own time. Personally, I found the book to be inspirational, even though many of the ideas were not new to me, they were presented in a way that offered many "ah-ha" moments.
    Don't give up on yourself!!! When you're ready - the recordings will be there for you. And I'm encouraging the class members to continue the discussions even after the live classes are done, right here! Hope to chat with you again.

• Anonymous Icon

Sybilla47 Jan 15, 2012

I confess I have not been a good student. I have failed to come to the classes BECAUSE I have not kept up with the readings - feeling uncomfortable and guilty about it. At this point my whole life seems completely disjointed and chaotic. Contrary to popular belief (especially New Age)I seem to have very little if any SAY in the events and circumstances surrounding me. I am letting things overwhelm me. And given the whole Quantum physics/Law of Attraction thing - i tend to just ask myself - What is wrong with me - that I can't seem to get ANYthing going?

In that sense I tend to agree with Jun Akutsu's view of the whole Law of Attraction thing as an oversimplification. Don't we all wish it would be like that? does it mean it IS? after so much failed efforts I am inclined to believe this is a very partial view. Thanks Jun, for bringing that up.

When the course started I was so hopeful that it would help me restore some sense into my life, but of course, it cannot happen without my participation. I feel I have failed myself and the group - don't know how to get back into it so late in the day, not having kept up with the readings.

• cynthialarson Dec 22, 2011

I am greatly enjoying reading Michael Singer's book, "The Untethered Soul" and participating in the small group discussions in this class. "The Untethered Soul is one of my all-time favorite books, because it contains some of the best insights and tips for becoming self-aware, and better managing stress and overcoming fear in one's life. I love the idea of learning to observe feelings... especially 'unpleasant' feelings... in order to recognize that one's feelings are not oneself.

With regard to joanswithions question, "What balance would you like in your life between experiencing life and observing life?" ... what a great question! This question is one I would interpret to be one of how often we'd be taking observational check-points. Even after years of meditating, I don't consider myself to yet be capable of staying in an observational state of mind while doing daily activities such as: driving a car, talking with my children, answering emails, etc. I am able to take a few moments in any given activity or hour of my day to have an observational check-point... and I do this sort of thing more and more as the years go by, and as I gain additional benefits from more meditation. What I'm saying is that even with so much of my energy and intention devoted to being conscious (and I've been working on this as a teacher and student of meditation for more than a decade), I'd have to say I spend a minority of my life observing... much less than 50% (which is the number I tend to associate with balance, when considering the original question).

• Anonymous Icon

joanswithions Dec 19, 2011

I certainly was not a good student this week. I did the opposite of what Michael Singer’s recommends; I allowed myself to become embroiled in the emotion of the issues with only slight awareness of what I was doing . I'll attribute it to, ‘what you ask, for you get’.

I had commented last week that I didn’t want to only be an observer. I preferred to have the experience of living on this planet. If experience is defined as emotion, I had lots of experience last week. It was a roller coaster week. As a result, I found more virtue in Michael Singer’s solution to living comfortably on the planet.

What balance would you like in your life between experiencing life and observing life?

• Houwke Osman Dec 19, 2011

Thank you for opening this space so people like me from other time zones (I live in The Netherlands) can participate.
    I like the book from Michael Singer very much. It makes very much clear that you have a choice, and that you need to be aware if your energy shifts, where your consciousness goes. And to let it go instead of being drawn into it (whatever it is). I think the difficulty is to stay alert all the time. First of all you need to be very consciousness of your body; else you won't notice the shift of energy and the tensions in your body. This takes a lot (years) of training. Well that's my own experience. Secondly, I feel that it also takes energy to keep alert all the time. Or is this only at the beginning? The thoughts in my head keep flowing all the time (not necessarily trigegred by emotions), which sometimes is useful if you need to think things over. But in other situations it distracts me from staying alert. How is this for you? What balance is recommended here?

• Jun Akutsu Dec 15, 2011

I had mixed feelings about the article, "The Real World," by Rhonda Byrne, from the Workbook. "What is real?" is a huge topic, and different philosophical perspectives give different answers. Predominant scientific materialism says what's physical is real. I hear New Age folks often say, "time is illusion," "physical reality is illusion." I tend to like Ken Wilber's Integral view; he says "everyone is right, but nobody is completely right." I don't agree with reductionistic materialism which says the only thing real is material, but I think material reality is very much real, and not an illusion. I don't think time and space are illusion, when our consciousness is in it. I can also understand in the nondual consciousness all those distinctions disappear. It makes sense to me to see this way: each claim of reality is a perspective and is projected out to encompass the whole world or the universe, from that vantage point (or in its consciousness).

I agree with Byrne's points in many ways, but what I'm ambivalent about it is, quoting Quantum physics there is rather convenient, as often New Age folks do. I'm very much attracted to IONS because the "science" referred to by IONS is very solid and not superficial. As I understand it, Quantum physics challenges the existing predominant Newtonian/Cartesian paradigm, but what to make of it is very much inconclusive (as pointed out by Rosenblum and Kuttner's book, "Quantum Enigma.")

Byrnes writes:
    "What you imagine and feel to be true creates your life, because that is what you're giving to the law of attraction...You can do whatever you want. You can have whatever you want."

This is pretty much the predominant view held by I call New Age folks. I don't disagree everything about the "law of attraction," but I'd like to see the discussion within IONS community to be more elevated. I tend to agree with the criticism that says these New Age sentiments often lead to narcissism and spiritual bypassing.

• Angela Murphy Dec 10, 2011

It will be available as an audio self-paced course in a few months, after the live course is finished and we edit out the personal information that the class members share. I'm not sure if or when we'll offer this as a live class again. The next live (over the phone) course that we're offering is "Conscious Aging" starting on January 18th. You find get more information about our course offerings here: http://noetic.org/education/overview/

• otmuz Dec 10, 2011

Very interesting. Is this class to come again? Id like to enroll.
    Thanks.

• or Sign Up to Add a Comment

Stay in touch with IONS